1. Citizens residing in the consular area, returning to Portugal, may request the issuance of certificate to import
a car, with exemption from customs duties.
2. The issuance of the certificate depends on the following requirements:
a) proof of residence in U. S. A. for at least 12 months.
b) owned the vehicle for at least 12 months before returning to Portugal;
c) ownership of a valid driving license for at least one year before the date of transfer of residence.
d) have valid citizen card or ID Card , indicating “United States” in the space reserved for the residence
Deadline for submission of application for legalization in Portugal
The request for registration of the car in Portugal must be submitted within 12 months counted from the date of cancellation of residence in the U.S., under penalty of forfeiture of the right to the exemption.
Length of stay in Portugal vehicle without legalization
The vehicle can remain in national territory, without being legalized for a maximum period of 180 days from the date of its entry into Portugal, under penalty of seizure and its infringement procedure tax.
Documents to be submitted at the Consulate General– Certificate of Title
– Registration of the vehicle (registration)
– Valid U.S. Driving license
– Declaration, signed by the applicant, with the date of final return to Portugal, and indicating the address in Portugal to which
his/her residence will be transferred.
– Cost of documentation: Total: USD 114.35 + Title certified fotocopy USD 26.30
Disposal of the vehicle
Without prejudice to the admissibility of the driving by the spouse or children of the beneficiary, the vehicles imported free of duty may only be transferred, donated, transferred or encumbered 12 months after the final importation.
Benefit from new exemption
Exemption shall be granted in respect to a motor vehicle, per beneficiary, and may be awarded only once every 10 years.