Travel authorizations are required for minors entering and exiting Portugal.
Minors while traveling alone, must have travel authorization signed by both parents, if married, or by the one who exercise parental responsability.
Children whose parents are not united by marriage can travel without entry/exit authorization if accompanied by one of parents and if traveling alone only the consent of the parent with whom they usually reside is required.
The travel authorization must be in writing, dated and the signature of the person exercising parental authority, with this signature legalized by the Consulate (if minor holds Portuguese nationality), empowering monitoring to a third party, properly identified.
The travel authorization can be used indefinitely, within the validity period mentioned on document, which, however, may not exceed the period of one calendar year.
Documents to submit:
- Valid Citizen Card / ID Card from both parents;
- or Citizen Card / ID Card of the mother, if the son/daughter of a single, separated, divorced or widowed mother,
- or Citizen Card / ID Card of the one exercising the custodial authority;
- Proof of address and ID document of the minor
If married parents:
- If minor travels alone: the travel authorization must be signed by one of the parents.
- If minor travels with one of parents: authorization from the other parent is not required, if not opposed by the the traveling parent, by evidence of such intention when communicated through direct contact with the Consulate to this email: email@example.com. This communication must be sent with the following elements: the complete identification of both minor and parent, as well as address and contact, copy of the citizen card or ID card of the applicant; minor bierth certificate; eventualy, agreement or decision on regulating the exercise of parental responsibilities, if applicable. Note that although it is not a judicial injunction precluding the minor exiting of Portugal, to this expression of intent is assigned a validity period of 6 months.
If divorced or legally separated parents:
- The travel authorization must be signed by the person holding parental responsibility;
- If custodial parenthood belongs to both parents, the authorization must be signed by both of them. In this case, if a parent does not maintain any contact for several years, the Court judgement must be submitted and the authorization may only be signed by the parent with whom the minor legally resides.
:If the affiliation is established only in relation to a person, usually the mother
- the travel authorization must be signed by parent who acknowledged the child and will have to be compulsorily submitted the birth certificate of the child as well as the “full transcript of birth certificate” if the child is born in the U.S..
If unmarried parents:
- If minor travels alone, travel authorization must be signed by the parent wiyh whom the minor reagularlly resides.
If one parent is decesead:
- The travel authorization must be signed by the other parent upon presentation of the death certificate.
If the minor is entrusted to a third party or an institution:
- The travel authorization must be signed:
- by the holder of parental authority, upon presentation of the Court sentence;
- by the Director, or his/her representative, from the minors protection service, upon presentation of the Court order.
If minor is under guardianship:
- the travel authorization must be signed by the guardian appointed by the Court, upon presentation of the respective judgement.
If the minor has been adopted:
- the travel authorization must be signed by the adopters.
If the adoption process is not yet completed:
- the travel authorization must be signed by the adopters, upon presentation of the Court order certificate that entrusts the child custody.
O The emancipated minor by marriage does not need a travel authorization, but must present a marriage certificate to prove the situation of emancipation.
Application forms are provided by the Consulate General and the fee of each presential signature legalization is USD 15.98